The Bounty, formally named Bethia, a merchant ship laid down in 1783, was purchased by the admiralty on 26th May 1787. She was purchased for an 18 month voyage to the South Seas to transport breadfruit plants to the colonies in the West Indies, as an inexpensive source of food for their plantation slaves.
William Bligh was appointed to Bounty on 16th August 1787 and supervised her fitting out at Deptford yard. On 23rd December 1787 Bounty left Spithead, arriving in Tahiti just over 10 months later. After a stay of over 5 months, the Bounty left Tahiti.
From 5th April to 27th April 1789, Bounty made stops at several small islands while sailing westward towards Endeavour Strait. On the morning of the 28th April, while the ship lay off Torfua, part of Bounty’s crew mutinied under the leadership of Fletcher Christian. The mutineers took command of the ship, and put Bligh and 18 loyal followers into the 23ft launch.
Bounty returned to Tahiti and then, after searching for refuge, found Pitcairn island, where Bounty anchored in the bay that is named after her. Early in 1790, the ship was beached, stripped of all useable materials and burned to the waterline. What remains of her still lies at the bottom of Bounty Bay.
The Caldercraft Kit of the HM Bounty includes: CNC cut ply and walnut components throughout; Double planking in lime and walnut; copper plates for hull below water line; highly detailed brass etched sheet, including window frames, boat grapnels and oars; chainplate assemblies etc; detailed cast decoration; turned brass cannon; rigging thread in black and natural; full set of instruction plans and a comprehensive instruction manual.
Part No: C9008